Saturday, December 26, 2009

What Will You Take With You?

People all over the world have just finished celebrating the Christmas season. Christians celebrated the birth of Jesus Christ, and yes, many non-Christians celebrated Christmas too, at least the Santa Claus part--decorations, gifts, parties, and sharing happy times. But now that the season has ended, what do we do with the ending? Isn't this what we face with each life experience? We can choose what we leave behind and what we take with us.
Life is a mixture of pleasure and pain, and holidays usually involve both. We can't erase memories, but we can choose to leave any pain behind and take with us the beauty of the experience. Holidays can be hectic, and some things always seem to go wrong. Those are the bumps in the road, but we don't have to keep tripping over them in the future.
This year I remember wiping up cranberry sauce off the floor, missing my children who live in different states, nights I couldn't sleep, digging deeper into my pocketbook, and over-taxing my energy level. But I also remember the peace I felt during the beautiful candlelight service at church, laughs and hugs with my family and friends, phone calls with my children, the excitement of choosing gifts for others and opening my own, the smell of a Christmas tree and the sweet taste of honey and cinnamon. Oh, my, it all comes back to me now with the same delight.
So now I will put any pain, no matter how slight, into a big balloon and release it into the air to dissolve into nothingness. Then I will keep the peace and the spirit of the season in my heart. It feels so good there. And if any of that bad stuff comes up in the future, I'll just stick it back in the balloon and let it go again. So there.
I invite you to do the same. What will you release in the balloon? And what will you keep in your heart and take with you? Think about it.
Love ya all. Til next time.
Marilyn

2 comments:

  1. Marilyn,
    I love the image of releasing pain and discomfort into a big balloon.....up, up and away!! Thank you for a much needed reminder!
    Love & Hugs,
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cranberry sauce on the floor? Egads! That's gonna take some powerfully big balloon.

    Great way to remember how to let go - think balloons gently rising up into the clouds. Great visual!

    ReplyDelete