Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Go, Push, Stop

Do you ever wake up in the morning feeling like your energy supply is empty, and all you want to do is pull the covers up over your head and disappear? Yeah. We all have those days, and some people have them quite often. But most of the time in a busy world, no matter how we feel, we have to get up and do what's ours to do. That's the way it was with me a few years ago when I went through a health challenge with little energy. So I devised a method to get me going and do the best I could with each day.

First, I began listening to what my body was telling me. We have a Wise self and a foolish self, and we can hear either one we choose to hear. Something inside knows what it's doing and what's best for us, and it will communicate if we listen.

Second, I practiced pacing myself so I wouldn't quickly run into the ground and end up with an empty tank. Whatever I didn't finish one day could wait for the next one.

Third, I began using a system I called Go, Push, Stop. I used Go to accomplish as much as I could. When I felt my energy waning, I Pushed further to do more. Then when my body said Stop, I stopped. I obeyed what my body told me, and I ended up amazed at how much I actually got done without totally draining myself.

Fourth, I learned to forgive myself for falling short when I left some things for later. I used my energy wisely and got something done each day instead of spinning my wheels to exhaustion. I also felt good about myself, which I know promoted overall healing.

Whether it's a lack of energy from a health challenge or one of those times when we all overdo and need to slow down, balance is a key to keep us on the right path. I still use this system and, surprisingly, I get more done than when I don't.

Take care of yourself. You are loved.

Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. Really great advice -- thanks for this one!

    ReplyDelete