Tuesday, February 16, 2010

When Change Comes

When life is going pretty good, it's nice to coast along in the status quo, and we don't want anything to rock our boat. Then there are times when we pray for a change to move us out of the mess we're in and get us over the bump. Either way, change does come. That's another law of the Universe. Things are always moving, repositioning, increasing and decreasing or taking a different form. But nothing stands still.

Some changes are so subtle we don't even notice them. In the midst of a dull brain fog I may notice a tremendous idea quietly creep in. Or I'm amazed at how much dust is on the furniture. I'm sure it wasn't there yesterday. But other devastating changes may hit suddenly, and these can affect our health, finances, relationships, any part of our life.

When I was six years old, my father died. As young as I was I had to adjust to the change that took place in my world. I felt different inside, and I didn't know what to do with the pain. But then other changes came, and I survived. We can't live life in the status quo. Whether we like it or not, we are constantly being moved along our path with no two moments the same. So how do we meet these moments as they come?

We tend to label situations good or bad, and we either resist change or we go with the flow and try to make tomorrow better than today. Sometimes we cling to an uncomfortable situation, because we fear the unknown that change will bring. At least our discomfort is familiar. Or we don't want to change something that seems good. But without change, we would stagnate and deny ourself the fullness of life that change can bring.

Change is inevitable, and it does bring a need for adjustment, but there are times when the outcome may bring a pleasant surprise. Have you ever fought a seemingly negative change, and found later that something good actually came of it? Accept the ebb and flow of life, and be willing to grow with each experience. The journey is bumpy, but well worth the ride.

I wish everyone joy in tomorrow's surprises.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment