Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Facing The Beast

Today, for the umpteenth time, I'm going to try and quit smoking. But perhaps it's not wise to use the word try. Sometimes that word can defeat the outcome. So I'll say I will quit. I smoked for seven years, then quit for eight years, and went back to it when I was getting a divorce. Dumb! Now I've been smoking for more years than I want to recount, and have tried to quit several times without success. This time it's bare-boned cold turkey. Go, girl.

Years ago, when I quit, I was pregnant, sicker than a mule at last weeks food trough, living on the third floor over my in-laws who were against smoking, didn't know how to drive a car to get to a store in the midst of a nicotine panic attack, and my husband didn't smoke. How could I not quit? I thank God for that situation, because it at least gave me eight years of freedom. Now I want that freedom again.

I think I'm ready. I have free time allotted, so I plan to clean house--lots of mopping, scrubbing, reaching, pulling, stretching--whatever it takes. And I can scream whenever I feel like it, with lots of tissues handy to catch the tears. I also plan to use something called Emotional Freedom Technique (EFT). I know it works for many types of situations, and I'm counting on it this time.

Yes, the experts advise having a support system near by, but this is something I have to do alone. However, I'm a great believer in prayer, so really I won't be alone. The Power within will provide all I need, and I'll do what is mine to do. Together we can do this. If anyone has some extra prayer in their heart, I would greatly appreciate receiving some of it. Now I'm ready to dive in.

Blessings to all of us.

Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. Marilyn,
    Kicking the smoking habit was one of the hardest things I ever did. Like you I quit once - for 12 years. Then I started up again for another 8 years. I think I've been smoke free for 10 years. It is a true sense of freedom.

    I've heard EFT is a great technique. If you need some help my Sweetie is an EFT practitioner. Call anytime!

    ReplyDelete