Tuesday, March 23, 2010

So Who's Perfect?

Do you ever hear those little messages inside your head that criticize you when you goof up? They might say you shoulda done this or you shoulda done that--you dummy. Then you feel that terrible sense of shame because you're not perfect? Well, maybe it doesn't get that severe, but any self-criticism hurts, and we don't have to put ourself down when we make a mistake. Life is for learning, and we'd have nothing to learn if we were perfect.

I kind of like being imperfect. It means I'm normal, and as long as I'm here in this life it gives me opportunities to work on growing and becoming more of what I want to express in my life. Years ago, my mother tried to explain her depression to me. I listened, but I didn't understand, and I wasn't able to help her as I wanted to. I felt helpless, and I criticized myself for being inadequate. I was a good daughter, but I wasn't perfect. Time has passed, I'm older, I've learned a lot, and now I understand. But it's too late. She's gone. It took me a long time to overcome my guilt over my lack of understanding and my inability to help. But I'm grateful the most important ingredient was there. We knew we loved each other.

I realize now that no one is perfect, and if we do the best we can at any given time, given our growing ability, then criticism from anyone is not appropriate. It's okay to fall down, as long as we get back up and keep moving forward, accepting ourself where we are, an imperfect human being who is learning and growing.

As the saying goes, each of us is a work in progress, and we are worthy of acceptance and love. We may not always feel this way, but as another saying goes, I know I'm somebody 'cause God don't make no junk. It's not necessary to do everything right. But it's important to learn along the way and love, unconditionally, who we are today and who we will be tomorrow.

I wish you patience and a peaceful heart.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment