Saturday, March 27, 2010

What About People?

Today I approached the door to the library, and was pleasantly surprised when a young man moved in front of me and held the door open for me. I remember when nice gestures like this happened often, but I don't see much of it anymore. I smiled and told him how much I appreciated his kindness. This experience reminded me how busy our world is today, and how seldom we think of people. Time is a valuable commodity, but we spend most of it on things. I wonder if we're missing out on a lot of joy in our life, with an imbalanced focus that doesn't have time for people.

We live in a non-stop world like a run-away train with no one at the throttle. Our minds are filled with places to go and things to do. I forgot to pay the electric bill--I can't miss my favorite TV show--I have a whole list of text messages to get out--I have errands to run and I'm running late--I'll get a hamburger to go. And on and on.

Most of what we do is necessary in our busy world, but do we stop long enough to evaluate all those chores? Or are we just caught up in the fast-paced flow, and don't even realize we're in it? Are we really too busy to reach out and share some time with others? Many years from now I will remember the young man who opened the door for me, but I doubt I'll remember the department store sale I couldn't miss last week.

I read a poem the other day, and one of the lines said, "Don't wait until I'm gone to say you love me. I need your love now." I wonder how many people feel that way when they reach out, and there's no one there. Everyone is busy.

Think about it. Time is what you make of it. When a moment is gone, it's gone. Create time to smile at the store clerk, laugh with a child, hug a friend, pray for the hungry in the world, and express your love for the people in your life. Things are fine, but they're temporary. People are forever. Life is for making memories. What kind of memories are you taking with you?

Breathe slowly and love a lot.

Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. The young girl in front of me in the check out line was a couple dollars short. I offered to buy the baby formula. As I left the store I knew in my heart I'll never be a person of great monetary wealth. It feels too good to help people out. I like the way she smiled at me. I liked knowing the baby would have something to eat. I liked the way I felt inside.

    What the world needs now is not another Blackberry, but more random acts of kindness.

    ReplyDelete