Tuesday, April 27, 2010

How Do You Respond?

What do you do when one of those bumps in the road pops up? Not just the big ones, but the little ones too that can be so frustrating? Have you ever observed your response pattern? Recently, I got a good look at mine.

I got up Saturday morning with plans for the day. I was going to make a cottage cheese pie for my friend's birthday, and had planned to give it to her at church the next morning. Also, it was my day to enter a post on my blog, so ideas were going around in my head. Well, just after lunch, I doubled over with a severe irritable bowel episode. Haven't had pain like that in several years. Then the nausea and diarrhea started. It was so bad, I thought I'd have to die to feel better. But the real problem became my failure to follow through on my plans.

I put my blog on hold and apologized to my friend. Then for the rest of the day, I kept stewing about the situation while I moaned in pain. I thought about my Saturday blog screen being empty--nothing there. And I had made a commitment for that day--every week--forever. I had also committed to making a gift for my friend. How could I not keep my commitments? I felt guilt, remorse, regret, ain't it awful, I'm a failure, and so on. A real pity-party. And the pain got worse.

The next day my friend told me she had gone to another church and received a very timely message; Feel it to heal it. Don't stuff it down somewhere. Stay in the present, acknowledge the problem and your feelings, and allow it to move on. Most problems in life, small and large, will move on if we don't hang onto them with negative thoughts. Nothing will leave until we deal with it. Own it, feel it, then let it go.

I already knew this wonderful gem of wisdom, but I sure needed the reminder. Criticizing myself just added to the physical pain I was already experiencing. I still felt rotten the next day, but when I began the letting go process, I began to heal. Sometimes help comes in strange ways, and maybe things happen so we'll learn a lesson for the next time. I think I'll remember this one.

I wish you the wisdom to heal.

Marilyn

2 comments:

  1. I hope you are feeling better. I've found the blog just sits right there and waits for me. Doesn't go away! Funny, though, how the little beasts begin to take over our lives!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for reminding me that whatever is....is there for a reason and that if we accept it, all is well. Love your blog spot...and true words of great wisdom.
    Blessings to you!!
    Kristi

    ReplyDelete