Thursday, October 28, 2010

The Depression Pit: Part 2

Nothing moves without a push.

The above statement could be applied to just about anything in life, but it's very appropriate when dealing with depression. When we fall into that pit, it can feel like we'll never get out, and we long for someone to reach down and save us. But it usually doesn't work that way. There are times when a person is too weak to do the pushing, and medication is required until they're strong enough to participate in the recovery process. And that's okay. But for most of us, we're stronger than we think, and we can begin recovery in spite of that hopeless feeling that churns inside.

You don't have to see the whole staircase, just take the first step.
Martin Luther King Jr.


Sit quietly, close your eyes and go within. Take your time.
1. This may sound weird, but accept where you are right now--depressed. Owning the problem and being willing to face it and resolve it puts the ball in your corner and takes some of the power away from the depression.
2. Now state your intention to climb up out of that pit. It hurts, and you want out, so you intend to get out one way or another. So there!!
3. Reach down deep inside and locate that inner strength you thought was gone. It's still there, and it will answer your call. Now take a deep breath. You need one. You've just accomplished the first step to freedom.

For peace of mind, we need to resign as general manager of the universe.
Larry Eisenberg


Give yourself permission to not be all things to everyone else. This is your time to heal. Meet your commitments, but your main focus now is you.
4. Clarify the source of your depression. Is it a problem on the outside, or is something going on within yourself. If it's on the outside, do what you can to resolve it and then let it go. You don't have a magic wand. If the source is on the inside, ask your Higher Self to reveal what you need to work on.
5. Use denials and affirmations. Example: I deny that this problem has any power over me. I affirm my ability to rise above any obstacle in my life and find the freedom I desire.
6. If you feel like crying, ranting, raving, swearing, etc, don't hold it back. It will just keep popping up. However, don't let it control you. Allot a certain amount of time for this kind of an outlet. 30mins, 1hour, 2hours, whatever you decide. Then when the time is up, cut it off. Do this again as needed. You'll find this need will diminish.
7. Make a deliberate effort to use props and beauty to raise your mood. Music, walking outside, exercise, watch a sunrise, eat an ice cream cone, create belly laughs (I know you don't feel like it, but do it anyway) whatever it takes.

Give light, and the darkness will disappear of itself.
Desiderius Erasmus


8. This is one of the most important things you can do to help yourself. Find ways to help someone else. Not because you feel obligated, but because you want to. Give and get hugs. You need them too. Give and accept all the love you can. Love is the greatest healer.

Be not afraid of changing slowly; be afraid only of standing still.
Chinese Proverb


The journey back up is not easy. It takes time, and you may have to start over numerous times.
But never ever give up. The will to life will always push you forward and give you the strength you need. You are meant to soar like an eagle. Accept help when it comes, but you have to flap your own wings.

I wish you joy in your heart and a smile on your face. You can make it.

Marilyn

4 comments:

  1. Marilyn,
    Well said.
    Great quotes.
    I remember being in the dark place, poopooing all such good advice. Funny thing is once I tried it, I found it all to be true. THe going is slow. Like a dance it is a few steps forward, one back and a turn to the left (or right) but eventually, with help and an understanding guide it works. It really works!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to say how I am feeling today. Weepy. I dont want to be here. I miss being loved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I miss my second husband. I miss how he made me feel loved, cared for, protected.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometime I think it would be OK not to be here anymore. I just don't want to hurt my family so I hang around. but I think about leaving, the peace it will bring me.

    ReplyDelete