Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Tribute To Courage

As I watch the miners in Chile being rescued from underground where they've been for 69 agonizing days, I'm reminded of why we're here and what is really important in life. Sometimes it takes such an event to bring this awareness to a world preoccupied with money and power--a world where the good of all is sacrificed for a few. I'm old enough to remember a different world where people felt for each other and worked toward the common good. Now I see my old world reflected in these brave miners, their families and all the dedicated people who have worked so hard to bring about this rescue. It warms my heart.

When this catastrophe first occurred, each miner could have thought only of himself and his own needs, and chaos would have followed. But they didn't do that. Each took on a particular job thereby contributing to the needs and survival of all. Doesn't this make more sense than seeing who could steal the most food from his brother?

I've heard there were 3 proposals as to how to rescue these men. How far do you think this rescue would have gotten if the promoters of each proposal had blocked the others? From what I understand, the whole group remained open to whichever one would be the quickest and most effective, and then good-heartedly used that one. And it worked.

Oh, I believe there are many people in the world today who would behave in the same way these miners, families and rescuers behaved. But it seems that, in general, this is not the kind of world we're living in now. I wonder why that is. Could it be fear that drives greed and desire for money and power, with disregard for each other? Fear of what?

As I watch this rescue unfold, I feel such admiration for all involved, and I commend the courage of all these people. Fear is a precursor for failure. Courage is a precursor for success. The ultimate outcome for both is obvious. Perhaps, as a people, we need to dig down inside and find some much needed courage. Let these brave people be models for the rest of us. Maybe we'll see a return of that world where people truly care for one another.

Don't be afraid to give your love away. It will come right back to you.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment