Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Goodbyes

Saying Goodbye, A Dream of Things Anthology

The above book is a wonderful collection of stories written by everyday people depicting the many ways we say goodbye to the people, places and things in our lives. As I read this book, I was reminded that we say goodbye all the time in one way or another. It's part of our human condition. We usually think of goodbye as a painful experience, but that's not always the case. Goodbyes come in many colors.

There are those painful times of saying goodbye when we lose a loved one, or a place where we were happy, or things that were dear to us. We experience the grieving process, but I've found that we sometimes carry them with us forever in our hearts. I lost my father when I was 6 years old, but he's still with me. So are the Michigan tulips I saw when I was in the 5th grade, and the beautiful lake where I spent a few happy months when I was a child. I still see them in my mind, and I miss them. But I had to say goodbye.

Then there are the times when goodbye is a happy time. Sound strange? Think about it. Have you ever said goodbye to a person, place or thing that you no longer wanted or needed in your life anyway? How about that relationship that caused you pain, or those extra pounds you gained, or that bout of the flu that kept you in bed for days, or that job that you hated. We all know that feeling when we've said goodbye to an unhappy experience, and we gave a sigh of relief with a smile on our face.

Yes, goodbyes come in many colors, each one unique in itself, but a part of what molds us into who we are. The sad times can make us stronger, and the happy ones can lighten the bumps in the road along our way. Be grateful, not for the losses, but for what we can learn from them. If we use our goodbyes wisely, they can open doors to new beginnings and push us forward to better understanding of ourselves and others. Our world grows with each goodbye.

Blessings on your journey.

Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. Marilyn,
    Thanks for starting this blog with a reference to Saying Goodbye. It is an easy read and addresses all kind of farewells. As you say each of us says a variety of goodbyes in our lifetimes - some reluctantly and some with a few expletives added. I hope your readers will check out Saying Goodbye on Amazon or B&N.com

    Mary Ellington, pg. 143!

    ReplyDelete