Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Make Miracles

Where there is great love, there are always miracles. Willa Cather

It's the holiday season, and you can feel excitement in the air. Holiday music is everywhere, and people are planning their gift lists. It would appear this is true for everyone. But a holiday season can also be a time of sadness. It depends upon where your mind is focused.

I like this time of year, but when I look at my children's pictures, I sometimes wish I could go back and re-live those times when gifts were under the decorated tree, and they were so excited they couldn't sleep. How they squealed with joy the next morning when they saw what Santa brought. Today, we're scattered around the country. I don't see them at all except for a week in the summer that passes too quickly. And I wonder where the time went.

I remember my family's yearly gatherings when we took the time to raise a glass to the wonder of the season, and celebrate another year of being together. We still have those gatherings, but now I look around and realize that some are no longer there. And I miss them.

I'm retired now, and nothing comes as easy as it used to. It would be nice to shop as I did in the past, but now the gifts are smaller, sometimes homemade. Sometimes the gift money goes to pay the electric bill. Yes, times have changed.

All the art of living lies in a fine mingling of letting go and holding on. Havelock Ellis

No experience can be duplicated. We can't recapture what we had yesterday. But Spirit is changeless. It is the same today as it was twenty years ago or yesterday. Spirit is always now, and that's where our focus needs to be. Oh, I don't mean we have to give up old memories, missing the ones who are gone, or being realistic about a financial challenge, or anything else that takes your focus off of what this season is meant to be. Your memories and your love of people and things from the past will always be dear to you. Keep them close in your heart, but don't let the past or worrisome situations now inhibit your expression of love in the present.

Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. And today? Today is a gift. That's why we call it the present. Babatunde Olatunji

Send your love over time and space to those you want to hug. They will receive the blessing that your love carries with it. Then let your love flow into this season. Put your mind and heart in your gifts. No money for gifts? Love is the greatest gift you can give. I remember when a friend had no money to buy me a birthday gift, so she cleaned my house. I will never forget that gift or the precious angel who gave it.

Be an angel this season, live your life today, and make miracles that will last all year.

I wish you Joy now and always.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment