Wednesday, July 13, 2011

On Second Thought

I got the blues thinking of the future, so I left off and made some marmalade. It's amazing how it cheers one up to shred oranges and scrub the floor. D.H.Lawrence

The above quote is the philosophy I should have taken when I was recently forced to get along without my computer for 10 days. During that time, I wrung my hands, railed at fate, and felt as if life would never be the same. Okay. So I wasn't that insane, but I did forget everything I thought I'd learned about facing those bumps that pop up on the road of life. I was resisting the situation with all my might, and that just prolonged the agony.

When you fight something, you're tied to it forever. As long as you're fighting it, you're giving it power. Anthony de Mello

Our thoughts, feelings and actions produce energy, and our energy gives power to whatever is involved. One of the best ways to keep an unwanted situation or condition hanging around is to resist it. We do this with fear, worry, fretting, frustration, yelling, kicking walls, or any other way we can think of to express our negative feelings about it. Some people focus on their shortcomings, real or imagined. They focus on wanting these thoughts to go away, so they can feel good about themselves. This does nothing but give power to what's being resisted. With an outside problem, we attach ourselves to it as if that's going to make a difference in the outcome. We think the problem can't be solved unless we stew over it, and this too is resistance. These cycles take us nowhere.

Most problems work themselves out over time, but why chain yourself to them? You might as well say, "Pull up a chair and have a seat. I'll feed you enough energy to keep you around for a long time."

What you resist persists. And only what you look at, and own, can disappear. You make it disappear by simply changing your mind about it. Neale Donald Walsch

Nonresistance doesn't mean putting your head in the sand and ignoring something that needs your attention. It simply means choosing to accept the problem not as a mountain, but as a manageable hill that you're capable of resolving, rather than focusing on it with resistance.

1. You don't need to like the situation, but accept it as your own.
2. Talk to your feelings with understanding and compassion. You're human.
3. Detach your self from the problem, so you can be free to do what's necessary.
4. Research ways to resolve the issue and act upon them.
5. Just get the job done as best you can and accept whatever you need to accept.

While you're doing all of the above, send love to yourself and to the whole process. Love is the healing ingredient. You don't need to push against life. Allow it to move you forward in peace.

I wish you open arms full of love.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment