Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Your Special Light

We are each gifted in a unique and important way. It is our privilege and our adventure to discover our own special light. Mary Dunbar

Life is busy, isn't it? Run. Run. Run. Take care of everything on the outside. That's fine, but is that all there is? Who and what you are is not located out there, and you may be surprised at what you'd find if you took a closer look inside. You are unique, different, special, an adventure to be explored. You may find the impression you have of yourself now is quite inadequate. There's so much more.

I wish I could show you, when you are lonely or in darkness, the astonishing light of your own being. Hafiz

Sometimes our self-image reveals more of our weaknesses than our strengths, and we go through life short-changing ourselves. I had a friend who rarely admitted anything admirable about herself--I can't, I mess everything up, I'm homely, I'm not worth much, etc. This impression was not true, but she had never searched for anything else. So I sat her down and gave her my impression. As I rattled off a dozen wonderful qualities I saw in her and cited many times she had expressed these qualities, tears filled her eyes. She said, "No one ever told me that, and I never saw it. Is it really true?" I convinced her to observe herself, and take note each time she expressed her strong points. She amazed herself with each discovery, and her wonderful self became real to her. Over time, she learned to let her light shine even in her own eyes.

There is something innate in each of us that longs to grow on our journey through life. But how can we grow if we're not aware of what we're working with in the first place? When I was a child I watched my brother put together model airplanes. First he opened the box, then laid out each piece on the table and carefully identified each one. Some were ready to us as is, while others needed sanding down and rough edges smoothed out. He was grateful for those ready to use pieces, and happily spent time on those that needed some work. No piece was any more important than the other. He needed all of them to create a plane that would fly. If we're to fly, we need to search inside the box, see all of the pieces, and work with them without judgment.

By being yourself, you put something wonderful in the world that was not there before. Edwin Elliot.

Look inside, discover your light, and shine as you're meant to shine. The world needs your special light.

I wish you a happy adventure

Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. Love the line by Hafiz.
    Another timely post for me. All signs are pointing me to take a look inside.
    Thanks for another!

    ReplyDelete