Friday, December 2, 2011

What About People?

This is a time of year when many are caught up in holiday activities, and sometimes we focus so much on things that we forget about the people in our world. So I decided to resurrect a message from the past that seems to apply to this time of year.

Today I approached the door to the library, and was pleasantly surprised when a young man moved in front of me and held the door open for me. I remember when nice gestures like this happened often, but I don't see much of it now. I smiled and told him how much I appreciated his kindness. This experience brought to mind how busy we are and how seldom we think of people. Yes, time is valuable, but I wonder if we're missing out on a lot of joy in our rush to get things done.

Most of what we do is necessary, but do we stop long enough to evaluate all those chores? Or are we just caught up in the fast-paced flow, and don't even realize we're in it? Are we really too busy to reach out and share some time with others?

Many years from now I'll remember the young man who opened the door for me, but I doubt I'll remember the department store sale I couldn't miss last week, or which gift I gave to Aunt Mary, or who brought what for the holiday dinner.

Think about it. Time is what you make of it. Slow down and reorganize. When a moment is gone, it's gone. Create time to smile at the store clerk, laugh with a child, hug a friend, pray for the hungry in the world, express your love for the people in your life, and feel the joy of the season. Things are important, but they're temporary. People are forever. Life is for making memories. What kind of memories are you taking with you this year?

Breathe slowly and love a lot.

Marilyn

2 comments:

  1. As children, we were blessed with a free spirit. The only two fears we had were a fear of falling and a fear of loud noises. Otherwise, we lived freely. We took chances, tried new things, asked for help, yearned to learn and loved openly! Our objective is to get back to this childlike place of “living freely.” Living freely is a chance to live without predetermined thoughts or anticipated reactions and is covered in my audio, Take Control Of Your Life In Challenging Times.

    Gail Kasper
    Author, Another Day Without A Cage: My Breakthrough From Self Imprisonment To Total Empowerment and Unstoppable: 6 Easy Steps To Achieve Your Goals
    www.gailkasper.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. As mentioned above, "living freely" is a place where we should all try to be. My life has been about living in the moment, a place that was so hard to get to... It's nice to see others emphasize this point.

    Gail Kasper
    Motivational Speaker and Author
    Unstoppable: 6 Easy Steps To Achieve Your Goals

    ReplyDelete