Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Benny's Light

Lord help me to make rainbows instead of cloudy days.
Fill my life with hope and joy and love in all my ways.
Help me to see the truth of me and those who's lives I share.
Help me to honor their presence and let them know I care.


A tribute to one who cared.

I recently attended a memorial service for Benny Bennett. He left suddenly without warning in the quiet little town of Orange City, Florida. The memorial hall was filled with people who knew him--really knew him. I heard him in their stories about a simple man with long hair, blue jeans and plaid shirts, who quietly walked in the woods, worked with his hands and loved people. I saw him on their tear-stained faces, and I felt him in the love that blessed us all. The beautiful guitar music, played by his son and his son's friend, reflected his life--his fall from broken homes into years of alcohol and drug addiction, then conquering his demons he became an Addiction Counselor where his beautiful light touched the hearts and lives of all he met.

Many years ago Benny and my children played together, but somehow we became separated. Then last year through my book, Silent Echoes, our families were reunited. And I saw the little boy who never grew up, but an old soul on a mission. I treasure that day when love found our two families and gave us time together. When I think of Benny, I remember who he is. He is that light that will always shine.

In closing I want to share an old Indian message:
Do not stand on my grave and weep. I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow. I am the diamonds glint on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripening grain. I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the mornings hush, I am the swift uprising rush of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft star that shines at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry. I am not there. I did not die.

Blessings to you.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment