Thursday, February 16, 2012

Your Quest

Join me in my quest for a greater understanding of our existence. Join me in my desire for a greater self. Join me as I seek the humility to love and understand my fellow man. Bryant McGill

We may not realize we're searching for something more in life, because much of life goes on inside, the part outside of our conscious thinking. Our inner beliefs and feelings motivate our outer choices. We're programmed for ever forward and upward movement, and if we take the time to quietly go inside and listen, we can hear our inner voice guiding us to be, have and do more than we see in our life now. This year that voice is yelling louder than usual, and the universe is telling us to pay attention. Are you listening?

I'm working on a list of changes I want in my life. And I'm starting with myself. Someone said, "Change my life by changing me." That's were it begins, isn't it? Well, I figured a good place to start is with my health challenges, and that means to stop smoking. That seems really mundane compared to the lofty goals I could include on a priority list. But when I rise above the psychological misery of withdrawal, wanting to scream obscenities from my front porch, I find this adventure brings more than freedom from smoking. Now I'm seeing myself with different eyes. I've been 2 1/2 weeks without a cigarette, and I'm getting in touch with a part of me I haven't experienced for a very long time. In a way, it's a weird feeling, like I want to recapture whatever that is. Perhaps in searching for myself, I might find me.

A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral. Antoine de Saint-Exupery

What things do you put into your life that mask your true self? What do you focus on that takes you away from who you really are? What needs to be uncovered for you to see a greater you this year? Now is the time to explore and discover more of yourself and experience greater meaning in your life.

You really are a cathedral.

Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. Oh Marilyn,
    Quitting smoking was one of the best hardest things I've ever done. WHen I learned I could get through phone calls, cocktail hour, trips in the car, all-nit sewing sessions and tough times without a cigarette, I felt like I'd reached the top of some snow-capped mountain. It's been 22 years, I think, and rarely if ever do I miss the nasty things.

    Congratulations on your efforts. And don't forget this lesson I learned in a quit smoking seminar. Put the money you'd spend on cigarettes in a jar. When you feel the need to honor your new way of life treat yourself to something you've always wanted.

    ReplyDelete