Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Sit Under A Tree


In every walk with nature, man receives far more than he seeks. John Muir

Sometimes life really is a bumpy road, and some of those bumps hurt. We need to find a place of rest, so when the bumps come, we have what we need to pass through them. That place of rest is within you--that place of peace, joy, comfort, wisdom and strength. It's a safe haven sometimes overlooked as we rush through life too worn out and stressed to deal with all the stuff that hits us in the face.

That place is always there, but it's not something we can tap into occasionally. It's where we need to go on a continuing basis, where we live as we meet each day's demands. We form a connection through daily prayer, meditation, happy music, and nature--whatever way pulls you inside to your quiet place.

There is always Music amongst the trees in the Garden, but our hearts must be very quiet to hear it. Minnie Aumonier.

Last summer while visiting in Seattle, I sat on a shady porch taking in the pristine beauty of giant northwestern trees. I've always loved trees, and just the sight took my breath. Then a nearby tree called my name, and I thought of what I'd heard about the benefits of sitting under a tree. Something shifted inside, and I was drawn to try this new way to reach my quiet place. As I relaxed against the tree, the earth poured her loving energy up through the tree and into my body, wrapping me in exquisite peace and strength. And my heart was very quiet. I'll never forget the experience.

As I sat in the quiet, I remembered singing in my school choir many years ago. We sang Joyce Kilmer's poem about trees. Now I understood his poem, and so much more.

Trees
I think that I shall never see
A poem lovely as a tree.
A tree whose hungry mouth is prest
Against the earth's sweet flowing breast;
A tree that looks at God all day
And lifts her leafy arms to pray;
A tree that may in summer wear
A nest of robins in her hair;
Upon whose bosom snow has lain;
Who intimately lives with rain.
Poems are made my fools like me,
But only God can make a tree.

Find your way to go within and be quiet. Listen for the truth in your heart. You really can walk through life in peace and joy when you know where to look. Look there everyday.

I wish you peaceful walks through life.

Marilyn

3 comments:

  1. Love this post. Especially the picture.
    Have you been to the Treaty Oak downtown?
    Let's go sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very beautiful posts both the included poem and your posts about it. The picture of you looks so relaxed and peaceful. Thank you so very much.
    Ross

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Mary and Ross for your comments. Looks like we're all tree lovers. :-)

    ReplyDelete