Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Walk A Labyrinth


Recently I walked a labyrinth for the third time, and as before, it was a memorable experience. Some people use the walk for clearing the mind and centering. Others enter with a concern or question. I had just one question. I asked my inner Voice to tell me what I need to know, and the answers I received were right on, enlightening and meaningful. I came out feeling more at peace and with renewed direction in my life. Fifteen of us walked the labyrinth together, each in our own quiet space, and each with our own unique experience, yet bonding together in this experience. I'm now looking forward to my next walk.

Labyrinths have been around in every religious tradition for over 4 thousand years, and can be found all over the world. They may look like a maze, but they're not. A maze is built with dead ends to confuse and test. Labyrinths are usually in the form of a circle with a clear, purposeful path winding from the outer edge to the center and returning on the same path, with each person walking at their own pace. They're made in different designs, and the one I walked is the same as one of the most famous built into the floor of the Chartres Cathedral in France in the early 13th century. The labyrinth walk facilitator has walked the one in France and uses this design for her walks. Labyrinths are used for prayer, meditation, centering, relaxation, problem solving, enlightenment, direction, etc. Today, in our stressed world, there's a renewal of their use as a spiritual tool.

There are also smaller labyrinths to sit on your lap and walk with your fingers. They're made in a variety of materials, such as metal and different types of wood. I've looked at some on the internet, and I plan to get one. I also want to make one in my back yard. How wonderful to walk barefooted on the earth and feel earth energy beneath my feet.

If you don't know about labyrinths and/or have never walked one, you might want to research them and find one to walk. I'm just learning they're becoming more available in our chaotic world as our need for peace and direction in our life increases. Once you walk the labyrinth, you'll want to walk again.

I wish you peaceful walks along your journey.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment