Thursday, May 24, 2012

You And Me or The Machines

As our world changes, the way in which we relate to each other is also changing. Oftentimes we use emails, texts and social media to exchange information about each other, and we don't seem to use as much personal contact as in the past. Personally sharing experiences with others is being replaced with information about them. The time we do spend together is often interrupted by the machines we find so important in our lives. And an emotional distancing seems to be emerging. I'm not saying this is good or bad, but it's something to think about.

Some people can't stand to ever be alone, while others need some alone time each day. I'm in the latter category. But our changing culture is determined to put us all in one category--more robot than social being. I suppose robots can meet on a material level, but then what happens to the being inside?

As life unfolds, we each choose the kind of memories we take with us. I find that my dearest memories involve shared experiences and feelings more than information. Yesterday, I experienced what will be one of my dearest memories, and it brought a deeper awareness of how I want to live my life. I belong to a writer's group, and each year we celebrate what we have accomplished together in the past year. We invite friends and family, enjoy a wonderful lunch, and each of the thirteen group members reads or acts out something they have written. I acted out my story in a southern dialect with a costume, including a straw hat and pigtails. We shared sad, serious and funny stories with some tears and some laughs. The point is, we shared from our hearts, and love flowed among us. As time passes, I may not remember everything about each person, but the feelings will never leave me.

Use machines. Play with machines. They're part of our present life. But machines come and go. Souls are forever. Let's not forget who we really are. Remember what it feels like to hold a child's hand, hug a friend, say "I love you" to that special person--or even stroke a faithful pet. Life is a series of choices. As the years of your life pass, what will be your memories? The time to create those memories is now.

I wish you many beautiful memories.

Marilyn

1 comment: