Wednesday, May 2, 2012

You Have A Gift

Everyone is gifted, but some people never open their package. Unknown

When we were created, each of us was given a gift--something we could express in our lives. But I've found that many people, perhaps most, will tell you they have nothing special to express. They think being gifted means standing out in a crowd. But gifts come in all sizes, shapes, descriptions, qualities, etc. And each person has a gift like no other. Music or writing may come under the same genre, but each song or text is unique. And no two people have the same smile.

When I was a child, there was a man in our neighborhood who made people happy fixing their bicycles, just because he enjoyed making them happy. There was a woman who made cookies for the children. Now I know someone who is wheelchair bound, and she's known for smiling and waving at just about everyone. Many gifts are subtle and go unnoticed as gifts, but they're felt in the lives they touch.

I used to be one of those people who saw nothing special about what I did. Now I remember when I was raising my children doing waitress work, many of my customers shared their problems with me. I listened and offered encouragement. Then at age 47, I went back to school and became a psychotherapist, still listening and encouraging. It never seemed like a gift to me. It was just what I did. Then when I retired it dawned on me that maybe that was my gift, and I could still listen and encourage.

The greatest gift is a portion of thyself. Ralph Waldo Emerson

What is your gift? You don't have one? Of course you do. Maybe you, like others, just haven't looked closely enough. Look again at what you do and how you do it. Notice your habits and what you do without thinking about it. What do you do well? Is there something you haven't been aware of? Its just part of who you are. Ask your inner Voice to show you what you have been given and to guide you in using it.

You're more beautiful than you know. Let your life express your gift. It will come back to you and warm your heart.

I wish you many blessings.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment