Wednesday, June 6, 2012

What Is Your Dream?

We all have time machines. Some take us back, they're called memories. Others take us forward, they're called dreams. Unknown

If I asked people if they have a dream, I think some would say, "No. I just live day to day." But dreams are part of who we are. Everyday we want something, but dreams ... dreams go deeper. They are the tools of our creative self, and they remind us that we're alive. We all have dreams, but sadly, those dreams are sometimes pushed to the back of our conscious mind, to pop out once in a while and then return to their hiding place. I think we shy away from dreaming because we believe that big dreams are impossible, and little ones are not worth our time, or we think we're too old to believe in a future.

Dreams don't need to be lofty and seem unattainable. They can be something well within reach, like a certain trip you've wanted for a long time, a flower garden in the back yard, learning a new skill, etc. Anything that moves your imagination and warms your heart. Children are wonderful dreamers. It's as normal to them as breathing. Maybe they haven't yet developed the fear that we grown ups have. They just take life as it comes while their minds dance in the wonder of dreams. This is life stirring in them.

When I was a child I dreamed of being an opera singer, and then as a teenager, I spent all my babysitting money on opera records, singing along with music. When the neighbors had company they invited me to sing for their guests, and I usually sang at my friend's parties. I dreamed with all my heart. But due to a family situation, my dream got lost, and I finally had to let it go. Then I got married, had a family and sang for myself. I still miss that dream and others I had to give up, but over the years some of my dreams came true. A picture of a cruise ship in Alaska sat on my refrigerator door for 7 years until I finally made the trip with a tour for minimal expense. Then Silent Echoes, a book I had in my head for many years, was published 2 years ago. And I'm still dreaming.

Our truest life is when we are in dreams awake. Henry David Thoreau

What is your dream? Are you pursuing it, or is it tucked away somewhere with a belief that it can never happen? Some will come true and some won't, but they're the stuff that life is made of. So go ahead and dream, help life to unfold in marvelous ways, and watch some of your dreams blossom.

I wish you a heart full of dreams that make you smile.

Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. You are an inspiration.
    Can't wait to hear you sing sometime.

    ReplyDelete