Wednesday, September 12, 2012

We Need Each Other

Today I had planned to interview Reverend Ed Bacon, author of 8 Habits of Love, Open Your Heart, Open Your Mind. But we ran out of time, and I have to postpone that interview. So I'm going to talk about something I think about when I feel lonely and saddened by our individualistic culture.

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other. Mother Teresa

We live in a world motivated by a competitive, what's in it for me mind-set with ultimate separation from others. We take for granted things like illness, stress, conflict, anger, loneliness, confusion etc. We say, "That's life", and we continue this without question. But is this the way we're meant to live?

Research has shown there's a connection between all people so deep that it runs through our total structure on a sub-atomic level. It's our innate nature to connect, to belong. And our body, mind and spirit need to experience this connection. Living against this nature creates a world of physical, mental and emotional pain--the world in which we find ourselves today. So how did we get here?

Many years ago the cultural norm was a sense of community with others. Yes, there were individual differences, but this was accepted without conflict. When I was a child in the Great Depression years, we lived in an apartment building in Detroit with people of different nationalities, but we shared our food, our time and our love. And much of what we suffer from today was minimal then. Now when I sit in my back yard, I look at my neighbor's privacy fences that were not there a few years ago. I hear their voices and their dogs barking, but I'm not a part of them. And I feel the separation.

The technological society in which we now live has opened doors we never thought possible, and much good is realized in our world today. But it doesn't seem to contribute to the love, peace and harmony our true nature longs for. Why can't we have both? Why can't we see the differences in people, but accept our connection without intention to change another? Can we share our problems, pain and joy and work with others toward common goals? Could we rethink the meaning of our life and send love to the pain and suffering we see in the world?

We are cells in the cell of humanity, and we can choose to be a part of the whole creation. Change begins within each of us, and we can use connection and community to create love, health, peace and harmony within our world.

We need each other. We can change the world.

I wish you new beginnings.

Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment