Thursday, October 18, 2012

Help. I'm On Overload

Do you ever feel like that? Like the motor inside is running so fast, you can't slow down? I don't know if it's the fast-paced world we live in, or if I got caught in some kind of an invisible whirlwind. But I forgot to pay attention to my rate of speed and my brain went into overload.

My first clue was this morning when I arrived at my writer's group meeting, noticed I had forgotten my notebook and had to go all the way back home and get it. Then during the meeting, I heard my own voice jabbering on at times when I should have been listening. It was kind of like an echo that sounded like me, and then I realized it was me. Well, at the time, I didn't know how to back up, so I just rambled on.

The first thing to do when you get caught in a whirlwind is to stop...stop...just stop. Take a deep breath and examine what's going on inside, because inside is always the place to begin when you realize something's not right with the way you're feeling. So when I got home and safely in my house, I stopped and checked what was going on inside. Yeah, I had allowed too many commitments in too short a time to overload my nervous system and cause a short-circuit. I was in that whirlwind and couldn't find my way out. I think a lot of people today are functioning in that state, and don't even realize they've short-circuited.

Then I began drawing on what I know about whirlwinds, and figuring ways to escape and find a quiet, peaceful place again. My recovery plan began with erasing everything from my calendar that I could re-schedule or cancel. Then I took a long, slow walk around my back yard barefoot and let Mother earth replenish me with calming energy. (I live in Florida, so I can do that in mid October) Later I drank 2 cups of chamomile tea with honey, then sprawled out on my living room floor breathing deeply and reciting quiet affirmations. I would have listened to some quiet music, but my CD player is broken. Now I feel like I'll survive, but it will take several days to get back on my pace and balance regimen. And I need to share a hug, so I'll hang around church on Sunday.

A word of advice: If you experience overload, remember that overload doesn't happen suddenly. It slowly creeps up on you when you're not looking, and then it bops you up side of your head and disconnects those circuits that keep you calm and sane. Slow down. You don't need to run so fast. Pace and balance your life, and you'll land on your feet with your mind and heart in the right place.

I wish you quiet peace every day.

Marilyn


1 comment:

  1. What good advice. Thanks. I hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete