Thursday, March 21, 2013

The Journey

It's a long journey through life, and as we move through various stages we may not realize that each stage is a gift with it's challenges, opportunities, lessons, and yes, blessings. Generally we just move along and don't much notice until something happens to jolt us into a realization that time passes and change takes place. And sometimes we don't welcome the change. Our culture is a youth oriented world. As people age, we want to put them out to pasture, get them out of the way. Just try to find a pair of jeans that come above your hips or a style you'd wear past the age of 50. And too many lonely people are in nursing homes.

We all know nostalgia, and sometimes we want to go back. Ah, how I remember when I rocked my babies, rode on the sled with them when they got older, took my son to get a gash in his head sutured when he fell off his bike, ordered art lessons for my other son, and made my daughter's prom dress--among thousands of other memories, some wonderful, some not so wonderful. You know what I mean. You have yours too. Did you realize time was passing when you lived those years? I didn't. I just took it all for granted--except the traumatic experiences. I just wanted out of those.

Then one day I looked around, and realized I had gone through several more life stages. I had aged, and I wondered where it all went--those precious memories, my clear skin, my flat tummy and my firm rear end. Wow, it must have happened when I wasn't looking. I wanted to keep the happy times. Then I remembered the mistakes, and oh, how I wanted to go back and do those over. I thought about what I might have learned from them, and I was surprised at how much I had learned. At least I wouldn't make the same ones again. But what about now? Was I learning now or drifting? I wasn't sure. It kind of felt like drifting, so I made a commitment to be aware of my life in each stage, and face each day with trust in God and myself, with intention and hope for a more meaningful life. When I falter and need reminders, I'm sure they will present themselves.

So much is said about living in the present, but I think we don't realize the full meaning of the word "living." To live, to learn, to savor, to share, to be aware of self and others, and to know where we are on our journey and what we want to do with it. We have the power to create the quality of our life in spite of challenges. Did you know that? You're probably a lot smarter than you used to be, so you're more able to create the quality you want.

Think about where you are now, and where you want to go. Hang on to those precious moments from the past, and let go of your mistakes. You did the best you could according to your growing ability at the time. Every stage in life is equally important with opportunities to learn and grow in new ways. You are not what you have or do. You are the forever beautiful being inside who is on a glorious journey to self-realization, and you can't find that if you overlook your purpose or fret about moving along where you need to be. Life may not offer the same experiences it did in past stages, but don't miss the great ones that are there now. There is Divine purpose in all of it, and you are part of that Divine plan for yourself and humanity.

Hang on and enjoy the ride.

Marilyn 

No comments:

Post a Comment