Tuesday, July 23, 2013

New And Better? C'mon.

It goes like this: Some young dynamo, in a company back office with thoughts of CEOship, comes up with a mind boggling idea for changing their product to a new and better version that would outsell competitors. And this great product then floods the market. Wow. Look out world. It's new and better. And this process applies to many products out there, including too many of the ones I use.

I long for an old style toothbrush like I used for years, and rarely needed dental work. The kind that had 3 or 4 same size bristles with a handle you didn't have to twist around your face to get it in your mouth. And it didn't have a motor to rattle your brains while you brushed. I also want my soft black leather sneakers back, and that gorgeous mauve pink lipstick.

For years my wonderful face moisturizer added a glow, and my skin didn't feel like a dried out sponge. But now that one is gone. And I don't see the thicker, harder to apply, new improved version creating any miracles for my aging skin that already visits the wrinkle farm. And the jar empties quickly, so I have to buy it more often. Bully for the company and its increased sales volume.

My personal email server (Not my blog email server) blocked me from opening my email, forcing me to switch to their new format, so I chose the basic one to keep it simple. But now they're pushing me to switch to their advanced format. They're driving me crazy with text cut off on the right side of the page, part of my contact addresses cut off, and I often get a "server hangup" notice when I try to delete emails. Then I have to keep reopening my email. My arm is being twisted out of shape. I complained, but only a computer tech could understand their solutions form letter. I opened a new email account, but I don't understand the 3 videos they furnished to show me how to use their new and better version. Where do I go from here?

This is the way the world is now, and there's no other world I can go to. I can't afford a bus ticket to Albuquerque, let alone a ticket to another country (Are they all like this one?) or a kinder planet out in space. I suppose I'm stuck with this modern "new and better" world. So I guess I'll just have to put up with the crap and use my Mental Stress Manual more often and meditate more.

Some would say we can't go backward. We have to move forward. And I agree. But that doesn't mean the move forward is always a healthy one. Today, more people depend upon pills for stress, anxiety and depression than any time in human history. New and better is only a part of our stress-causing world, but I'd sure like to see some of the simple life again.

I wish you some serenity in each day.

Marilyn

1 comment:

  1. Marilyn,
    I know just how you feel. It's seems that the "new and better" is biased towards a group that may not include me either LOL. I don't doubt that these changes make life easier for some people, but it's certainly not "one-size-fits-all." Even my company has had to revert back to the old way of doing things because the "new and improved" procedures have actually only complicated things. But maybe we'll learn to adapt before things change again in the next FIVE minutes!

    Sincerely,
    Jonathan
    www.I-am-jonathan.com

    ReplyDelete