Wednesday, August 7, 2013

When Too Much Is Too Much

I spent last week trying to pull myself out of the pit, as I call it. Nothing earth shattering. Just too much piling up all at once, especially after a night of very little sleep. You know. You've been through it too. Maybe you're going through it now. Murphy's Law in full force. Anything that can go wrong will go wrong.

First, I'm driving to an appointment when the car dash light suddenly turns red and starts beeping loud. Coolant is hot. In a panic I get the car towed to my mechanic where it stayed for 3 days while I agonized over a potentially large repair bill.

Later that day, I get a large bill from a healthcare provider I saw months ago. Through tears I bombard myself with questions. "Why didn't my insurance providers pay that bill? How am I gonna pay it?" I ran to the phone, and spent 2 hours with both insurance companies and the healthcare provider, including 25 minutes on hold waiting for a live person.

The next morning, I turn on my computer and find ads popping up on every page with no way to X them out, and something called White Smoke blocking everything I try to do. This time I cried through angry ranting at that machine. "How can you do this to me? I thought we were friends." My son worked all day on the computer, and insisted I watch everything he did. Stress rising. I didn't care what he was doing. I'm semi-computer illiterate and didn't understand anything anyway.

Now I decide to do some laundry to get my mind off the computer, and while taking clothes out of the hamper, the lid falls on my right hand, and pain runs all the way to my feet. Owee. I get the job done with one hand until the dryer door falls on my left hand leaving one finger swollen and purple. After tying a bag of ice around it, I sat on the floor and cried to exhaustion.

The next day I felt really stupid when a light of sanity finally hit my brain, and I realized everything turned out okay. The mechanic gave me a good price on a new thermostat, my insurance company paid the healthcare provider, my son cleaned up my computer, and I could still use both hands. All in 3 days. So why had I suffered so much through it? Looking back over my experience, I realized I'd gone into auto mode instead of responding in ways that work when stuff happens. So now I'm going back to what I know works in times of perceived crises.

1. When a disturbing situation arises, I'll stop, clear my mind of assumptions, and remain clear and vigilant.
2. In spite of appearances, I'll speak the truth with affirmations. "All is in Divine Order, and all is well. I have
    all the help I need, and I'm being led to a positive resolution."
3. I'll follow my inner guidance and do what's mine to do.
4. I'll be patient and trust the process as it unfolds.
5. And I'll smile with gratitude, knowing I'm a dynamo with all the God given wisdom and power I need.

So now I'm ready when Murphy's Law invades my space and tries to turn me into a whimpering mess.

I wish you a wise, cool head in times of Murphy's visits.

Marilyn

1 comment: