Thursday, December 19, 2013

Blessings Can Come Anytime, Anywhere

Blessed are those whose hearts are filled with the warmth of love from another.
Truth Devour,  Unrequited 


Yesterday I attended my writing group's Christmas brunch. Several of our members were out of town and couldn't attend, but six of us were there, plus the group leader's daughter and two grandchildren as guests. The group meets like this every year, but today was special for me, and I received a blessing I will always carry with me. Sometimes blessings come in unexpected ways.

As I looked around the table at each person, I became aware of our similarities, our differences, and what we give to each other, those attributes that make each of us special. I heard the unique voices that come through in our writing. I remembered the wisdom and encouragement we offer when critiquing each other's written work. I thought about all the times we offer to  help each other in difficult situations. I felt the caring and compassion we express when one of us is dealing with a life problem. I felt the love we have for each other. And I felt blessed.

I  also watched these beautiful children, a new baby and his older sister, a toddler. And I saw the special love the mother and grandmother have for them. The baby yawned, wiggled, and enjoyed being cuddled. His sister is one of the happiest, most expressive children I have ever seen. She laughed, clapped her hands, and responded to everything and everyone with wonder and excitement. An absolute joy filled with innocence and gratitude for every moment of life. I felt their presence in my heart. And I felt blessed.

After our meal, we each expressed in one word what we want in our life in the coming year. No one mentioned any material possessions. We asked for things like peace, joy, serenity, tranquility, and wonderment. Then we realized that when we have these within us, we have the strength we need to cope when painful situations arise. With these we have everything. And I felt blessed.

Yes, blessings can come anytime, anywhere. You can be a blessing to others, and when you open your heart to receive, you will find yours.

I wish you a blessed life.

Marilyn
 

2 comments:

  1. Marilyn, this is a beautiful review of our luncheon. Thanks for writing it and sharing the blessings. May we all carry the love and friendship into the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Mary, for your comment. Beautiful friendships are a blessing, and I'm blessed with you and our writing group. Love ya'll

    ReplyDelete