Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Creature Features, The Ark Of Writing

Until one has loved an animal a part of one's soul remains unawakened. Anatole France

This week I received my second edition of Creature Features, The Ark Of Writing, in which several of my stories have been published. This absolutely breathtaking collection of writings from authors all over the world is published on Cyprus by Rubini Publication, and is dedicated to promoting understanding and compassion for all life throughout the world. I feel extremely fortunate to have some of my stories included in this beautiful presentation.

As stated by Creature Features, "it is a unique, quarterly, illustrated magazine of short stories, articles and poems relating to the creatures of the world, referring to their nature, their character and their relation with man, exhibiting different countries' feral life, mythology, legend and folklore". Writings are informative with magnificent illustrations. Some are humorous and heartwarming, and portray the blessing they are in our world. I hope you enjoy my shortened version of Sunny's story written in his own words.

My name is Sunny, and I'm ten years old. I was adopted when I was a baby. People say I'm a dog, but I don't buy that. I'm really smart, and they can't put anything over on me. When I join my parents, Lee and Ginny, at the dinner table, they say, "You're a dog, and you have a nice bowl there on the floor where I put food and water for you every day." That's supposed to convince me? I rest my chin on the table and look at them with my sad brown eyes. Then they feel sorry for me and give me some meat and a peanut butter cookie for dessert. I love peanut butter, and I refuse my medicine unless it's wrapped in bread and peanut butter. I don't think dogs are smart enough to pull that one off.

I have long blond hair, and they call me a Golden Retriever. I slobber a lot, but I can't help it. It's just my nature. Sometimes they get annoyed when I demand attention, but it gets lonely being an only child. When company comes, I give them one of my bones, and they pet me. But Lee makes me go lie down. You'd think they'd be glad to have me as an interesting topic of conversation.

Lee and Ginny have strict house rules. I'm confined to the fenced-in back yard, and I'm not allowed upstairs, especially at bedtime. But when Lee's sister, Nonnie, dog-sits, she lets me sleep by her bed. Then I don't have to be downstairs alone in the dark. What if a burglar broke in? I like to see Nonnie, but it's fun when she leaves and they let me out front while they say goodbye. Sometimes they wake me up to water the bushes outside. But I know when I have to go, and I know which bushes need watering. I'm not dumb.

I shouldn't complain about my family. I know they love me. Ginny brushes me and puts medicine on my skin bumps. Doc says they're from old age, but I resent that. I'm not old. I even run and chase squirrels and lizards outside. It's okay though. They know I'm kind and wouldn't hurt 'em. And I like to drink water from the faucet at the kitchen sink, but I don't like it when they wipe my mouth with paper towels so I don't drip on the floor. And I like taking my bone into the den where we watch TV together. The never ask me what I want to see, but they watch the animal channel. And Ginny always hangs her arm over the edge of the sofa and rubs my back. Yep...I got 'em wrapped around my tail.

Yeah, I got it pretty good, and some of the stories I hear down the street make me happy I'm blessed with the family I have. They're really good people, and they love me. And they can't help it if they don't know I'm one of 'em.

Sunny sends you a happy tail wag.

Marilyn


No comments:

Post a Comment