Friday, July 7, 2017

How To Find Peace In Chaotic Situations



Chaos...that thing that drives us up the wall, that most of us can't define, but we know how it feels. We avoid it whenever possible, but it does invade our life. Roget's Thesaurus describes chaos qualities as confusing, disorderly, unruly, disruptive, haphazard, disorganized, undisciplined, etc, etc. You know...the kind of atmosphere you don't want to be around.

Usually on our journey through life, everything moves along at a steady predictable pace. But then those bumps in the road project us into a state of chaos, or at least to a point where we need to resurrect our problem-solving gear and get busy reducing its influence on our nervous system. It creeps into our peaceful world when our antennae is clogged with all our familiar daily activities. And we just don't see it coming. Or it can attack suddenly without warning, and transport us from a sunny day at the beach to a sinking ship without a paddle for survival. And we stand in confusion wondering what just happened. We've all been there.

Chaos comes in many forms from mild to severe, and can affect us physically, mentally, and/or emotionally. And it can take a toll. Chronic worriers live with chaos, and most don't realize they're bringing it on themselves. Every day is a crisis, and the crises don't end. "What if I lose my job; what if I can't pay my bills; what if I get sick; etc." Their whole life is a chaotic experience. Or Uncle Joe comes to live with your family in your orderly, well run home. He throws his clothes on the floor, drools at the dinner table, turns on lights and music during the night while he raids the fridge, answers your phone with nonsense, etc, etc. That's chaos, and you're feeling it big time.

I remember when I welcomed a new group of people moving into the house next door to me, but I soon regretted their presence. They were members of a band with amps and a microphone, and practiced everyday on their screened porch that faced my living room. I felt surrounded by chaos every time deafening sounds filled my head and scrambled my nerves, my floors vibrated, and my poor dog crouched shaking on the sofa. Finally, after visits by the police, they moved out.

Chaotic situations are okay as long as they don't last too long. But what happens when they last for days, months, even years, with no end in sight? We think, there's no way out, I can't deal with this anymore, I feel like just giving up. But giving up means you think the chaotic situation has tremendous power over you, and you're done. However, each of us is blessed with everything we need to survive and thrive. And you have more strength within than you imagine, and there's more you can do.

If plan 'A' fails, remember there are 25 more letters. Unknown

There are 2 ways to deal with a chaotic situation. Either resolve it or accept it. First write down and clarify outer areas of chaos, and work with others to create a less chaotic world. Fill your surroundings with people, places, and things that bring joy and order in your life, and learn to tune out what you don't want to see or hear. Do what you can, and include ways to distance yourself from the chaos.


When you've tried everything to resolve it, and it's still there, accepting it means making peace with it, letting go of the way you feel about it and the way you respond to it. Write down and clarify your opinions and feelings. Then practice inner work to create inner peace. Talk to the situation with denials and affirmations; "I deny you have any power over me, and I affirm peace in my heart as I release any painful response or feelings about it." Repeat every time the challenge comes to mind. And be patient. In time, you can replace the chaos with peace.

Nothing ever goes away until it has taught us what we need to know. Pema Chodron

Find a place of your own where you can pray, meditate, whatever you want, and remember who and what you are. And allow your chaotic situations to show you what you need to know. You are important, and your life has meaning. So don't let anyone or anything turn your head or heart from that truth.

I wish you peace in your heart


Marilyn

No comments:

Post a Comment